©2020 Morley Builders, Inc. | Privacy
In collaboration with The KOR Group, Alex Gorby and Howard Laks Architects, Morley Builders provided general contracting services for the new luxury hotel, Santa Monica Proper. Fusing both classic and contemporary design, the Santa Monica Proper Hotel consists of a new seven-story building added to the historic renovation and adaptive reuse of a Spanish Colonial Revival building designed in 1928 by Arthur E. Harvey.
Amenities include 271 hotel rooms, 13,000 sf of new retail and restaurant spaces, four levels of subterranean parking for 314 cars, a lobby bar, 6,000 sf of meeting spaces, and fitness facilities. The new rooftop features a kitchen, restaurant, bar and pool area. The design also features a paseo between the structures, providing access between Wilshire Boulevard and Seventh Street.
The scope included the conversion of office spaces to hotel rooms in the existing historical structure as well as a structural retrofit. Sensitivity to retain the original character of the historic structure was key, focusing on elements such as exterior concrete moldings, finials on top of the building, steel sash windows, marble flooring and decorative wrought iron railings on the stairwells. Seismic strengthening included reinforced concrete shear walls as well as structural steel and fiber-wrapped polymer on the beams throughout.
The hotel opened in June 2019.
Santa Monica Proper JV, LLC
Howard Laks Architects
- Hospitality Design Magazine - Lifestyle Award, Lifestyle Public Space, Restorations, Transformations, + Conversions
- LA Business Council Architectural Award - Under Construction
- Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Concrete Construction Award, American Concrete Institute (Southern California Chapter)
- Commercial Real Estate Award - Hospitality, Los Angeles Business Journal
- President's Preservation Award, Santa Monica Conservancy
- Honor Award - Hotel, Westside Urban Forum
- Hospitality Award, Los Angeles Business Council