©2022 Morley Builders, Inc. | Privacy
Fusing both classic and contemporary design, the Santa Monica Proper Hotel consists of a new seven-story building added to the historic renovation and adaptive reuse of a Spanish Colonial Revival building designed in 1928 by Arthur E. Harvey. Amenities include 271 hotel rooms, 13,000 square feet of new retail and restaurant spaces, three commercial kitchens, four levels of subterranean parking for 314 cars, a lobby bar, 6,000 square feet of meeting spaces, and fitness facilities. The new rooftop features a restaurant, bar, and pool area. The design also features a paseo between the structures.
The scope included the conversion of office spaces to hotel rooms in the existing historical structure as well as a structural retrofit. A new staircase was added to the existing building and the existing historical elevators were refurbished, including historical elevator fronts and surrounds. Additionally, many other historical features (exterior concrete moldings, finials on top of the building, steel sash windows, marble flooring, decorative wrought iron railings on the stairwell) were restored.
The KOR Group
Howard Laks Architects
- 2021 Los Angeles Conservancy Preservation Award
- 2020 Hospitality Design Magazine HD Awards - Lifestyle Hotel Award, Upscale Lifestyle Luxury Guestrooms Award
- 2020 Los Angeles Business Council Architectural Awards - Hospitality Award
- 2020 Los Angeles Business Journal Commercial Real Estate Awards - Silver Award, Hospitality
- 2020 Santa Monica Conservancy - President's Preservation Award
- 2020 Westside Urban Forum - Honor Award, Hotel
- 2020 Southern California Development Forum Design and Philanthropy Awards – Hospitality Award, Historic Preservation Award
- 2019 ACI Southern California Chapter Concrete Awards - Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Concrete Construction
- 2017 LA Business Council's Architectural Awards – Under Construction Award