©2023 Morley Builders, Inc. | Privacy
Fusing both classic and contemporary design, the Santa Monica Proper Hotel consists of a new seven-story building added to the historic renovation and adaptive reuse of a Spanish Colonial Revival building designed in 1928 by Arthur E. Harvey. Amenities include 271 hotel rooms, 13,000 square feet of new retail and restaurant spaces, three commercial kitchens, four levels of subterranean parking for 314 cars, a lobby bar, 6,000 square feet of meeting spaces, and fitness facilities. The new rooftop features a restaurant, bar, and pool area. The design also features a paseo between the structures.
The scope included the conversion of office spaces to hotel rooms in the existing historical structure as well as a structural retrofit. A new staircase was added to the existing building and the existing historical elevators were refurbished, including historical elevator fronts and surrounds. Additionally, many other historical features (exterior concrete moldings, finials on top of the building, steel sash windows, marble flooring, decorative wrought iron railings on the stairwell) were restored.
The KOR Group
Howard Laks Architects
- ACI Pankow & Concrete Awards (Southern California Chapter) – Outstanding Achievement & Excellence in Concrete Construction
- Los Angeles Business Council Architectural Awards – Hospitality Award
- Los Angeles Business Council Architectural Awards – Under Construction
- Los Angeles Business Journal Commercial Real Estate Awards – Silver Award, Hospitality
- Los Angeles Conservancy Preservation Awards – Preservation Award
- Santa Monica Conservancy – President’s Preservation Award
- Southern California Development Forum Design & Philanthropy Awards – Hospitality Award
- Southern California Development Forum Design & Philanthropy Awards – Historic Preservation Award
- Westside Urban Forum, Westside Prize & Design Awards – Honor Award, Hotel
- Hospitality Design Magazine HD Awards – Best Lifestyle Hotel Award, Best Lifestyle Luxury Guestroom Award
- Travel+Leisure – 500 Best Hotels in the World
- Travel+Leisure World’s Best Awards – #1 City Hotel in Greater Los Angeles, #3 City Hotel in Continental U.S.
- Travel+Leisure – Best New Hotels It List
- Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards – Top 20 Hotels in Southern California
- Condé Nast Traveler Hot List – Best New Hotels in America + Canada
- AHEAD Global Awards – People’s Choice Award
- AHEAD Americas Awards – Hotel of the Year Award, Guestrooms Award, Lobby & Public Spaces Award
- Deezen – Top 10 Hotels of 2020